December 29, 2009

24 Diner: Where to take a break from dieting


I mean what I say and I say what I mean. I stopped into 24 Diner before Christmas when my anticipated romantic date of ice-skating at Whole Foods fell-through. *Sigh* Instead, I chose to eat my heart out at 24 Diner which is located pretty much across the street.

After perusing the menu ... debating between cheeseburgers, hamburgers, sandwiches, breakfasts ... I decided, to hell with it! Why eat healthy?! I'm not on a diet ... at least not for the next hour and a half. I shall order the Pork Belly Sandwich!



And that I did do with a side of house fries. The pork belly was nicely tender topped interestingly enough with some pickled cabbage. Is this a pork belly banh mi?! Maybe. The pork belly is already a pretty thick and meaty flavor to get lost in ... having the crunchy, distinct pickled taste of the cabbage gave the sandwich a nice kick. This plate was ginormous ... I only ate half. And thankfully, they use normal ketchup. GOD, the Highball uses "homemade ketchup" which pisses me the hell off. Who gives a damn if you use homemade ketchup. I want my Heinz, damn it. It's like telling me you have some homemade Dr. Pepper. Kind of.

Anyway, I want to go back and try some of their breakfast options. The french toast looks out of this world. I'm still awed at Galaxy Cafe's ...

24 Diner
600 N. Lamar
Austin, TX 78703
Open 24 hours

x,

Franny


No comments:

Post a Comment